Quezon City, often celebrated as the “City of Stars,” is taking strides towards becoming a more bike-friendly city. With the increasing interest in cycling as a sustainable and healthy mode of transportation, Quezon City has been working to create safe and accessible routes for cyclists. Here’s a guide to some of the bike-friendly routes and areas in Quezon City:
1. Quezon Memorial Circle
Description: The Quezon Memorial Circle is a spacious park with designated bike lanes and paths. It provides a serene environment for cyclists to enjoy a leisurely ride while taking in the scenic surroundings. The wide pathways and beautiful landscaping make it a popular destination for biking enthusiasts.
- The park is especially inviting in the early morning or late afternoon when the weather is cooler and the park is less crowded.
2. University of the Philippines Diliman (UP Diliman) Campus
Description: UP Diliman’s expansive campus offers a network of roads with relatively low traffic, making it an excellent area for cycling. The wide avenues and tree-lined streets create a pleasant environment for both leisurely rides and more intensive workouts.
- Be mindful of pedestrian areas and always give way to pedestrians.
3. La Mesa Ecopark
Description: La Mesa Ecopark features designated bike trails within its lush greenery. These trails provide a mix of terrain, from dirt paths to paved roads, catering to cyclists of various skill levels. It’s a great place to connect with nature while enjoying a bike ride.
- Check the park’s schedule for specific days when bike trails are open.
4. Katipunan Avenue
Description: Katipunan Avenue, particularly the section near Ateneo de Manila University and Miriam College, has designated bike lanes. These lanes provide a safe space for cyclists to navigate this busy thoroughfare. It’s a practical route for those traveling along this corridor.
- Be aware of traffic and follow traffic rules even within the designated lanes.
5. Commonwealth Avenue
Description: Commonwealth Avenue has a designated bike lane on the outermost part of the road, making it accessible for cyclists. It’s a long and straight route that can be used for commuting or longer recreational rides.
- Always exercise caution, as some sections may have heavy traffic.
6. Quezon Avenue
Description: Quezon Avenue also features designated bike lanes, offering a more accessible route for cyclists within the city. It’s another option for those looking for bike-friendly roads in Quezon City.
- Be cautious when navigating intersections and watch for turning vehicles.
7. Riverside Bike Lane (Marikina Riverbanks)
Description: While technically located in Marikina, the Riverside Bike Lane along the Marikina Riverbanks is easily accessible from Quezon City. It provides a dedicated space for cyclists with scenic views of the Marikina River.
- Enjoy the picturesque surroundings, but always prioritize safety.
8. Circulo Verde
Description: Circulo Verde, located in nearby Pasig City, offers a closed-loop bike lane within a private residential complex. It’s a great space for families and cyclists of all levels to enjoy a safe ride.
- Check if there are any specific guidelines or entry fees for using the bike lane.
As you explore these bike-friendly routes in Quezon City, remember to prioritize safety. Wear appropriate safety gear, follow traffic rules, and be considerate of other road users. With these designated bike-friendly areas, Quezon City is making strides towards promoting sustainable and healthy transportation options for its residents and visitors. Enjoy the pedal-powered adventure!